The peak day for cooking fires each year is Thanksgiving Day. For this reason, it’s important that your tenant chefs are in a “state of readiness” for the holidays. Here are 10 tips to share with your tenants so they can enjoy a turkey-licious fire-free feast.
1| TEST YOUR SMOKE ALARMS TO BE SURE THEY ARE WORKING before guests arrive.
2| STAY IN THE HOME when cooking your turkey and check on it frequently.
3| STAY IN THE KITCHEN when cooking on the stove top. This way you can keep an eye on the food.
4| USE A TIMER TO HELP YOU MULTI-TASK. Thanksgiving equals multiple dishes cooked at once – a lot to keep track of!
5| ASK A RELIABLE “SOUS CHEF” TO HELP YOU IN THE KITCHEN. Four eyes are better than two.
6| KEEP FLAMMABLE ITEMS AWAY FROM THE STOVE TOP. Such as: Oven mitts, wooden utensils and any other item that can quickly and easily catch fire.
7| KEEP THE FLOOR CLEAR so you don’t trip over kids, toys, pocketbooks or bags.
8| KEEP KIDS AWAY FROM FIRE HAZARDS and other dangerous items:
- The stove – 3 feet or more from that hot oven is a good rule of thumb.
- Hot food & liquids – you don’t want burns from steam or the splash of vegetables, gravy or coffee.
- Knives – any pointy object perfect for sword fighting should be off limits.
- Electric Cords – you don’t want them pulling an electric knife, coffee maker or plate warmer down from the counter.
- Matches and lighters – these should be kept up high in a locked cabinet.
- Candles – never leave a child alone in a room with a lit candle.
9| KEEP A LID OR COOKIE SHEET CLOSE BY IN CASE A SMALL FIRE STARTS. You can smother the flames by sliding them over the pan and turning off the burner.
10| FIRES CAN SPREAD QUICKLY, SO WHEN IN DOUBT, JUST GET OUT! When you leave, close the door behind you, get to a safe location and call 9-1-1.
We hope these tips help you and your tenants have a safe, happy and fire-free Thanksgiving and Holiday Season!
Enjoyed this article? Sign up for your FREE Think Realty membership to receive access to membership only content, benefits, and stay up to date on our upcoming events.